Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dioserey Cabiling Victoriano: A Profile

Dioserey Cabiling Victoriano: A Profile
by
Melchor F. Cichon
December 15, 2013


Every time I reached the office, I would always see him mopping the floor or cleaning the Comfort Room. There at times, I would hear him singing. I presumed that he was happy doing his job.

Then he would wipe the glass divider of the internet section. Or wipe the tables and the chairs. Then he would do other things to make his area clean and tidy.

One time, his supervisor told him to look up the walls to see if there are cobwebs. He simply said, "Yes, Ma'am."

After that, I would always see him sweeping the upper part of the walls and of the ceiling.

Before he would leave our office for his lunch, he would always ask me if I have something else for him to do.

After his lunch break, he would again come back to our office to check if there were litters around or if there were chairs not pushed back to their proper places.

At four in the afternoon he would again come back to the library to close the windows and empty the waste cans.

And when I request him to help me carry some books or other library materials, he was always willing to help.

It seemed that he was not getting tired of doing his job as a janitor. Perhaps because he was contented with his job.

But he had to go because he only had a five month contract. with the school.

I am  referring to Jioserey Cabiling Victoriano, the janitor who was assigned in our library for five months. He is known as Joss among his friends.

Joss was born in Gemumua Agahon, Passi City, Iloilo. It was there that he finished his elementary and high school education.

After high school, he enrolled at Interface Computer Science, where he enjoyed a scholarship. but then he had to quit because
Because of financial problem, he could not proceed to the course that he wanted to take. He said that he wanted to become a scientist. When I asked him to clarify, he told me he wanted to become an astrologer to know more about the planets and other celestial bodies in the skies. But I told him , he could read in the books and in the internet. But he said that, it is much better if somebody could teach him more, somebody who could guide him.

 That's the reason why if given the opportunity, he read books.

He is fond of reading adventure books. And when he got a chance, he would see adventure and science fiction movies.

Now that it seems to be impossible to reach his goal, I asked him what alternative he is taking. He said, he wants to get into business. "Even just a small one. And when I have enough money, then I will try to pursue that dream of mine." Anyway, he is still young.

I told him that I often heard him singing while he was working. And I told him that he has a good voice.

"That's right, sir", he said. "While in high school", he said, "I used to join in some singing contests. In fact, I won second place in one of those contests. But I did not pursue that singing career because I was shy. I am glad I am not as shy now as before."

Before he worked in our office, he was working as a service crew at one of the branches of Jollybee in Iloilo City. It was there, he said where his self-confidence was improved. And that confidence I have was further developed when I worked in this office."

I asked him if he has something else to say.

"No one is perfect, but we can try to be perfect."

That's  Joss, the personality who dreams to become an astrologer.







No comments: