Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2018

I Cannot Forget My First Meeting With The Father of Western Visayas Literature

I Cannot Forget My First Meeting With The Father of Western Visayas Literature
by Melchor F. Cichon
June 9, 2018

I cannot forget the first time
I met with the Father of Western Visayas Literature.
Just like before, I reported for work in the library.
And he came to visit me
After learning from someone that I write poetry.
But then he asked me if I could show him my masterpieces.
The next day I showed him my notebook
Filled up with my poems
Which I kept in my trunk.
He opened it and read my first poem.
Without hesitation, he told me
To throw away the notebook.
"Write a new one," he said.
"I will teach you how!"
With a heavy heart
I put my well kept gold
Into a wastebasket.
"Come," he said.
"Write in Aklanon
And fifty per cent of your writing problem is solved.
Then, create a conflict in your poem.
Use red gumamila, instead of just flower.
As high as a flagpole instead of tall
But do not forget your grammar.
And yes, copy and paste someone's poem
Is a trip to hell," he said.
After that session,
His words keep on drilling my mind
Even in my sleep.
Until today.

No comments: